History of the Potash & Phosphate Institute
The Potash & Phosphate Institute (PPI) was founded in July of 1935, beginning as the American Potash Institute. The world was a much different place in those days. The United States was recovering from the Great Depression and consequences of the Dust Bowl era. Most of the potash fertilizer at that time was imported from Europe.
There was a clear need for agronomic research and education programs, and there is yet today. The horizons and focus of market development goals have evolved, with increasing emphasis on international programs and global issues. The name of the Institute later was changed to the Potash Institute of North America, then shortened to Potash Institute. In 1977, membership was expanded to include phosphate producers in North America and the organization name became the Potash & Phosphate Institute. Membership of the Institute is open to companies that mine and manufacture potash and phosphate fertilizers in North America and internationally. PPI is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to advance the appropriate use of potassium and phosphorus fertilizers in crop production systems.
While the headquarters office originally was in Washington, DC, it was moved in 1968 to Atlanta, Georgia. The Potash & Phosphate Institute of Canada, which administers the international programs of the organization, has offices in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
From its early days, the Institute’s programs have been rooted in the importance of science-based information. The first president of the organization was Dr. J.W. Turrentine, a well known chemist and world authority on the production and use of potash. His words to the first Board of Directors of the Institute have endured and continue to provide a valuable message: “…potash use depends on the recognition of its function as a plant food, which is agronomic, and the ability of the farmer to buy his requirement, which is economic. In fact, the agricultural usage of potash must be increased only on a basis that is sound and profitable to the farmer.”
That philosophy still serves as a guidepost. The Institute has a long-standing record of cooperation with universities, government agencies, research scientists, teachers, Extension specialists and agents, industry agronomists, consultants, advisers, dealers, farmers, students, and others.
Regional programs of the Institute have been a key in establishing a reputation of integrity and science-based agronomic research and education programs. The regional programs conducted in North American and the international offices are directed by a highly qualified staff of Ph.D. agronomists.
Since its beginning in 1935, only six Presidents have been elected to lead the Institute. They are: Dr. J.W. Turrentine, 1935 to 1948; Dr. H.B. Mann, 1948 to 1963; Dr. J.F. Reed, 1963 to 1975; Dr. R.E. Wagner, 1975 to 1988; and Dr. D.W. Dibb, 1988 through 2005. Dr. Terry L. Roberts became President of PPI January 1, 2006.
Dr. J.W. Turrentine
Dr. H.B. Mann
Dr. J.F. Reed
Dr. R.E. Wagner
Dr. D.W. Dibb
Copyright 1996-2013 by Potash & Phosphate Institute. All rights reserved.