Names and affiliations of project collaborators:
International Plant Nutrition Institute (IPNI) will help coordinate regional BMP Teams
Dr. Scott Murrell IL-34F
Dr. Rob Mikkelson ID-08F
Dr. Mike Stewart KS-34F
Dr. Adrian Johnston ND-12F
Dr. Tom Bruulsema NY-08F
Dr. Cliff Syder AR-31F
Dr. Paul Fixen (IPNI North American Program Coordinator)
Estimated number of EQIP eligible producers involved in the project:
24 EQIP-eligible farmers, along with their crop advisers, fertilizer dealers, and selected NRCS staff, Extension staff, and other stakeholders—about 200 total.
Project objectives and natural resource concerns to be addressed:
Fertilizer management recommendations need to be updated to reflect new technology and recent university research, and there is a need for better coordination of recommendations among neighboring states. An up-to-date set of science-based, well-documented Fertilizer Best Management Practice (BMP) Guides will be developed for each of six major cropping systems in order to guide nutrient management planning required for conservation programs (EQIP, CSP, TSP, etc.). A variety of education and outreach programs will be developed and presented to encourage implementation of the practices in these BMP Guides by producers, their advisers and input suppliers, NRCS, and Extension.
Summary of the work to be performed:
- Fertilizer BMP Teams will be organized by FAR and IPNI staff for each of six selected cropping systems/regions.
- BMP Teams will meet at least twice per year and develop a Fertilizer BMP Guide for their respective regions.
- BMP Guides and training materials will be presented at national and regional InfoAg Conferences.
- Training programs on Fertilizer BMPs will be held for NRCS, Extension, CCAs, and other stakeholders.
- A website will be developed to share information among project participants and other interested parties, and to deliver the training materials and on-line modules.
- Encourage development of similar programs for other cropping systems/regions.